Friday 24 April 2009

[Loneliness]

The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved – Mother Teresa

I think that one of the most horrible feelings in the world is loneliness. Having no one to turn to, and feeling as though no one cares. In reality it may not be the case, you might actually be surrounded by people who are desperate to help, yet it’s impossible to let them in.

The lonelier you become, the higher you build the wall around yourself, but just occasionally you might find that special person who can knock it down. However, what happens when that person discovers the real you and doesn’t love you anymore. What are you supposed to do then? Essentially, does that mean you should hide away even more, ashamed of whom you are?

Often, I’m of the opinion that people feel the most alone when they are in a crowd; milling around amongst others they know, but having no sense of belonging. Just thinking about those feelings of sheer and utter loneliness seems almost too much to bear.

I believe that often, those who are lonely detach themselves emotionally from people for fear of being hurt, although ultimately, this actually ends up destroying them all the more. But I think they see it that it’s worse to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. That in itself is something to be discussed, but I’ll leave it for another day.

I don’t know, loneliness is strange. It’s one of those emotions that so often, people drag themselves down into, yet can’t get away from. It’s soul-destroying thinking how easy it can be to slip into that deep, dark abyss, and how many people every day just feel so inexplicably empty inside. Make sure you always have a ‘someone’, and remember that no matter what, you will always be loved, and you will never be alone…

1 comment:

  1. Even the people who seem most happy are acctually in a spiral of loniness as you said often the lonliest of all are in a crowd. I hate the fact that this applies to me. I'm sure that you often see me and i look as happy as ever. But acctually things eat away inside me.

    But when i think about it there are people that would be willing to listen to me and try to help me. However i get close to speaking to them and a voice pops up in my head telling me that they won't care, or that the problem is stupid. Yeah it probably is stupid to everyone elses ear but to mine it's the thing that hurts me most and to me it is important. Jess that is why i stopped talking to people about my problems, only is it now that i've relised how much of a mistake it was that day i decided i would leave everyone in peace.

    People do need to discuss there issues with people no matter how big or small they are otherwise they fall into the pit of loneliness and can never climb out.

    I wish i had the confidence to talk to the people that helped me through the tough times... but now i've fallen into the pit and to be honest i don't think i've got much chance of climbing out.

    ReplyDelete